Der Treffpunkt für Jung und Alt im Herzen von Wien
The historic "Twelve Apostles Keller" welcomes you to its romantic arches!
Three underground floors which are up to 18m in depth protect moments of history. The origins of the building go as far back as the Romanesque and Gothic period with evidence from the year 1339. The masonry of the “Brunnenkeller” (well cellar) which uses stoneblocks characteristc of the period from about 1100.
The large gothic arch in the upper floor dates back to the year 1500. After its destruction the house was rebuilt in 1561 and was restored with early barock styled gothic arches in the Brunnenkeller. The foundation stone in the “Brunnenkeller” is engraved with the year 1561.
In war times, for example the Turkish sieges of 1529 and 1683 the lower floors were used as places of refuge. From this time the completely preserved Gothic “Brunnenstube” (dining room) in the cellar was the water source for the refugees.
The preseved Barock façade was designed by Viennese Architect Lucas von Hildebrandt between 1716 – 1721 and is still one of Viennas most beautiful facades. The house is named after Hildebrant and is a listed building. The house is also known as “Elloisches Haus”. In the building on the first floor there is a “Volutensprenggiebel” (gable arch) with a statue of our Lady of Mariazell with inscrition and chronogram (1717). On September 8, 2007 Pope Benedict XVI visited Mariazell to celebrate a religious service (Vesper) on the occasion of the 850th anniversary of the basillica. At this point all sacred sites of Our Lady of Mariazell were blessed which includes the “Zwölf-Apostelkeller”.
Well-known artists, poets and painters have gathered over the years since the establishment of the "Twelve Apostles Keller" in 1952 and enjoy the magic and romance of the past years within these ancient vaults.
Ihr Restaurant Heuriger im Herzen von Wien